Tale of Making a “Pot”

    I do one thing at a time, I do it very well, and then I move on. ~ Charles Emerson Winchester, III (M*A*S*H)

    Since my early 20s I’ve been making a delicious edible called Mung Beans and Rice. The recipe comes from a book written by Yogi Bhajan. When the Love of My Life and I came together, he was retired while I worked full-time. Knowing how much I enjoyed this, he’d make me a large pot following the recipe … to the letter. I’m more laid back when it comes to cooking. Over time this recipe has evolved. I now call it “making a Pot.” Said Pot includes legumes (favorites are mung beans or lentils), rice, vegetables and spices. It keeps well. Is transportable. (We even made a batch or two during our cross-country trek.) Tastes great. (Admittedly some Pots are tastier than others, but never have I had to toss a Pot for being inedible. lol)

    The LoML subscribes to the above quote. I don’t. Case in point is this tale of the most recent Pot I made. On that fateful day, I …

    ~Woke up
    ~Decided to make a Pot.
    ~Went to the bathroom.
    ~Noted we were low on sea water. (Used when possible to conserve fresh water.)
    ~Headed towards gangway.

    ~Noticed the LoML chilling on settee. (He generally wakes up 2-4 hours before me. That day was a planned day of rest for him … with no projects!)
    ~Decided to spend time with him.

    ~Remembered to check fridge as it had been defrosting overnight.
    ~Removed items.
    ~Thumped cold plate to rid it of ice hidden in back. (LoML had taken care of ice in front of plate.)
    ~Wiped up fridge bottom.
    ~Replaced items.
    ~Continued to settee to visit with the LoML.

    ~Made it up the gangway into the pit.
    ~Noticed it was warm.
    ~Opened the pit to allow air-flow.

    ~Filled the seawater “bucket.” (After three buckets lost their handles, the LoML created a makeshift bucket by cutting down a gallon jug and attaching a rope to it. It’s still going strong a year later. Go figure!)
    ~Poured seawater into household “jug.”
    ~Noticed bird poop on the cabin top.
    ~Fetched deck scrub brush.
    ~Filled seawater “bucket” multiple times to wash off cabin top and environs.
    ~Filled final time and tied into position on aft deck.
    ~Brought full “household jug” below deck.

    ~Noticed cabin was warm.
    ~Opened stern hatch.
    ~Opened mid-hatches.

    ~When the LoML went topside following his attempted-mid-morning nap, I opened the forward hatch.
    ~I placed the pillows topside (through the hatch) to air.
    ~Made the bed.
    ~Realized I was hungry.

    ~Washed the dishes. (A F-I-Q [foible-ism-quirk] of mine — having a clean kitchen before cooking.)
    ~Scrounged. (As we were coming up on our monthly restock, provisions were sparse.)
    ~Decided on bread (homemade sourdough) with sesame butter (aka “tehini”).
    ~Opened last jar.
    ~Dumped into bowl.
    ~Stirred to mix in the separated oil.
    ~Realized sesame nut-butter balls (another edible I’ve been making for years) would be a treat.
    ~Poured some of the tehini back in its jar.
    ~To the remainder in the bowl I added powdered milk and honey.
    ~Rolled into bite-size balls and refrigerated.

    ~Washed dishes.
    ~Realized (1) I still hadn’t begun Pot and (2) was still hungry.
    ~Laughing at self, I decided to memorialize “making today’s Pot.” Hahaha
    ~Wrote in a notebook (to be transcribed later).

    ~Got up to get Pot fixings.
    ~Noticed the LoML’s beverages needed refilling.
    ~Refilled them.
    ~Reached to refill my water bottle. Noticed it needed cleaning.
    ~Cleaned water bottle.
    ~Added this little escapade to notebook.
    ~Filled my water bottle.

    ~Grabbed the cooking pot.
    ~Noticed I missed a hatch.
    ~Went topside to open, taking with me: (1) dish towel to hang up to dry, (2) water bottle to stay hydrated and (3) first batch of vegies to chop for Pot.
    ~Hung towel.
    ~Opened hatch.
    ~Began chopping.

    ~Wind kicked in and temperature dropped so I zipped below deck for fleece jacket and headband.
    ~I grabbed phone and earphones.
    ~Went back topside to continue chopping while listening to recorded book. (The first Agatha Raisin mystery.)
    ~Finished chopping.

    ~Returned below deck to sit with the LoML while he ate.
    ~Hooked self into TENS unit. (Lower back was being a buggar butt.)
    ~Checked lentils for stones.
    ~Put lentils into pot.
    ~Added spices.
    ~Added water.

    ~Realized — again — I was still hungry and now tired as well.
    ~Fixed food, finally! (Slice of homemade sourdough bread, homemade cultured buttermilk, homemade peanut butter balls and a banana.)
    ~Joined the LoML for an afternoon nap.
    ~Got up.
    ~Cooked the Pot. Finally. And it was still daylight!!!!! *smiles*

    Get Doodled!

    A custom, unique, one-of-a-kind, made-just-for-you Doodled Avatar.
    Avatars are your face in cyberspace. Avatars represent who and what you are. Click HERE for more information!

    Facebook Share Tweet Post Pin Post Subscribe by Email Subscribe by RSS Back to Top